Commercial Insurance for garages servicing electric vehicles
Whilst there has so far been no indication that insurers will place any additional conditions or restrictions when providing insurance cover for vehicle servicing and repair businesses that work on electric vehicles, there are some additional risk management precautions that should be considered.
This is mainly because the insurer will be keen, as always, to ensure that robust risk management processes and practices have been regularly reviewed and any recommended actions implemented on an ongoing basis.
The main difference when it comes to considering the presence of electric vehicles in your workshops is the fact that these vehicles are quieter, require technicians to have different skillsets and knowledge in order to service and repair them, and technicians will be dealing with electricity and will therefore need to demonstrate competency.
As a minimum, we recommend that your business is able to demonstrate the following:
- Evidence that you have regularly carried out a risk review to consider ALL risks including any new risks presented by electric vehicles.
- You may wish to consider additional signage that warns customers and staff of the presence of electric vehicles
- All technicians that work on electric vehicles should be trained by the relevant manufacturer
- Ensure any systems that record training and competencies are updated so that only trained technicians work on electric vehicles
- This should also include training on the risk of electrocution
- Evidence of the provision of basic first aid training related to electrocution accidents to first aiders
- All staff given training to raise awareness of the risks posed by electric vehicles e.g. collision and electrocution
At Blythin & Brown, we specialise in providing commercial insurance for vehicle repair centres as well as comprehensive fleet driver insurance. Our expert team can help you assess your risks and ensure your insurance programme is bespoke to your individual requirements.